Barbecued Sweet Smoky Butterflied Leg of Lamb
- 3 - 3 1/2 pound Australian lamb leg, butterflied
- 2 ounces barbecue seasoning
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup tomato purée
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat barbecue or oven to 320°. Place the lamb in a shallow baking dish and brush with oil, then rub barbecue seasoning into both sides of the lamb.
- In a small saucepan, combine the barbecue sauce, maple syrup, smoked paprika, tomato purée, and oil. Heat sauce over low heat, simmering for 5 minutes.
- Brush sauce over the lamb and barbecue or roast over a low heat, basting frequently and taking care not to burn marinade. If cooking over coals, wait until coals are white before cooking. If roasting in an oven, allow 30 minutes per pound. Lamb may need to be turned to brown both sides.
- Allow lamb to rest 10 minutes prior to serving and slicing at the table.
Source: Meat & Livestock Australia