Veal Short Ribs “Marsala”
Prep Time:10 mins.
Cook Time:2 1/2 hrs.
Marinate Time:2 hrs.
- 4 12 oz. Catelli Brothers veal short ribs, bone-in
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups sweet Marsala wine
- 4 cups veal stock
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 4 cups wild mushrooms
1. Place short ribs on a baking tray and sprinkle them with kosher salt. Cover and refrigerate for two hours.
2. Heat a heavy bottom braising pan to high heat and add the olive oil. Season the short ribs with cracked black pepper. Once the pan is very hot, sear the short ribs on both sides until golden brown. Remove the short ribs, and if the oil has turned dark, replace with fresh oil.
3. Add mushrooms, onions and garlic to the pan and caramelize. Once caramelized, turn down heat, add the tomato paste and stir into the vegetables. Cook for two to three minutes. Add the Marsala wine and reduce by half.
4. Add the short ribs back to the pan with the herbs and cover with the veal stock. Bring the stock to a boil and cover with aluminum foil. Place the pan in a preheated 325º oven for two hours until fork tender.
5. Remove the pan from the oven and allow to come to room temperature in the braising liquid. Place the juices into a pot and reduce over low heat, skimming the grease off as it collects at the top. Once reduced by 1/4, season to taste and pour back over the ribs and serve.
Photo & Recipe: Catelli Brothers