Veal Meatballs in Cherry Sauce
Prep Time:45 mins.
Cook Time:45 mins.
Marinate Time:2 hrs.
1 1/2 pounds ground veal
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
2 tablespoons plain bread crumbs
2 tablespoons milk
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried juniper berries, ground in a spice grinder
2 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
1 large shallot, 1/4” dice (about 1/3 cup)
1 tablespoon Kirsch, optional
12 ounces frozen cherries, thawed and halved, juice reserved
1/2 cup cherry jam
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of oil and the onions to the skillet and cook until softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in the bread crumbs and milk to combine.
- In a separate bowl mix the veal with salt, pepper, thyme, and juniper. Mix in the reserved onion and bread crumb mixture and the mustard until just combined, being careful not to over-mix.
- Spoon out tablespoonfuls of the veal mixture and roll into 24 meatballs. Place the meatballs onto a small baking sheet and refrigerate for 2 hours or up to overnight.
- For the Cherry Sauce, heat oil in the same large skillet over medium heat. Add the thyme and shallots and cook until softened, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in the Kirsch, if using, and frozen cherries along with their juice to combine and bring the mixture to a boil. Continue cooking until the liquid is reduced by half, about 15 minutes, and then lower the heat to medium and whisk in the cherry jam. Simmer for 2 minutes longer, and then season with salt and pepper. Cover and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add meatballs in batches to the skillet and cook until lightly browned on all sides, turning frequently, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer the meatballs to a large plate.
- Bring the Cherry Sauce back to a simmer, uncovered, over medium heat. Stir in the meatballs to combine and cook until warmed through and glazed with the sauce, 1 to 2 minutes.
Photo & Recipe: Catelli Brothers