Prep Time:30 mins. as dough comes to room temperature
Cook Time:20-25 mins.
1½ pounds ground veal
Salt to taste
1½ cups onions, chopped fine
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons California-style garlic pepper seasoning (with red bell and black pepper)
3 cups pizza sauce
12 ounces shredded Italian four-cheese blend
12 ounces Ricotta cheese
3 bags (1lb. each) pizza dough
- Let the dough come to room temperature, about 30-35 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large skillet add the oil. When hot, add the ground veal and brown, about 15 minutes, adding the seasoning about halfway through the browning process.
- Add 1 cup of the pizza sauce to the browned veal and remove from the heat and cool.
- Cut the pizza dough in half and roll each piece into a 6” circle.
- Beat the egg and brush the dough circles. Divide the cooled veal mixture amongst the dough circles, placing it on one half of the dough.
- Add 2 ounces of each cheese to the top of the veal, spreading it out evenly.
- Fold the other half over the veal mixture. Using a fork, crimp the dough closed. Using any leftover egg, brush the top of the dough. Make one or two short slits on the top of the dough to allow steam to escape during cooking.
- If desired, sprinkle a little seasoning or sesame seeds on top of the dough before baking.
- Place the calzone on a cookie sheet pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake in a 375°F oven for 20-25 minutes or until the calzone is golden brown and you see some bubbles in the slits. Serve the calzone with the heated leftover pizza sauce.
Photo & Recipe: Funded by the Beef Checkoff