Southwestern Veal Tacos
Servings:4 (2 tacos each)
Prep Time:30 mins.
Cook Time:20 mins
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 pound ground veal
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 tablespoon adobo spice
½ cup onion, small dice
1 garlic clove, minced
½ cup tomato, small dice
1½ tablespoons piloncillo, grated (or brown sugar)
1 tablespoon chipotle en adobo, chopped
¼ cup cilantro, minced
2 tablespoons lime juice
Salt to taste
Ground black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons masa harina (or corn meal)
8 taco shells, hard
½ cup queso fresco or white cheddar cheese, grated
¼ cup poblano peppers, roasted
1 cup iceberg lettuce, shredded
½ cup tomatoes, diced
½ cup sour cream
- Pre-heat oven to 350°.
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan. Add the ground veal, chili powder, cumin, and adobo spice and cook until lightly brown.
- Add the onion and garlic and continue to cook until the vegetables are translucent.
- Add the diced tomatoes and continue to cook on low heat for two minutes.
- Season with the piloncillo, chipotle, cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper.
- Sprinkle in the masa harina and cook for another three minutes on low heat to thicken.
- To assemble the tacos, divide the taco meat into eight taco shells, about ¼ cup per shell. Sprinkle on cheese and roasted peppers. Place tacos in the oven for five minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Top with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes and sour cream.
Photo & Recipe: VealMadeEasy.com