Pasta with Rustic Lamb Tomato Sauce
Prep Time:10 mins.
Cook Time:20 mins.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 12 ounces American Lamb boneless leg or shoulder, sliced in thin strips*
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 10 small white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes and juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves or 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 8 ounces pasta, cooked and drained
- 1/4 cup sliced and drained ripe olives, optional
*12 ounces of ground lamb may be substituted.
1. In large skillet with cover, heat oil. Over medium heat, cook onion and garlic for 2 minutes. Add lamb and cook 4 to 5 minutes longer, stirring occasionally, until meat is no longer pink. Drain well, set aside.
2. Add zucchini, mushrooms, tomatoes and juice, basil, pepper, and salt. Cover and cook for 5 minutes until vegetables are crisp-tender.
3. Add cooked lamb, onions, pasta, and olives, if desired. Heat through and serve.
Photo & Recipe: American Lamb Board