Mediterranean Stuffed Lamb Leg
Prep Time:20 mins.
Cook Time:2 hrs.
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup spinach leaves, shredded
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, shredded
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil, drained
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 teaspoons lemon pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 4 to 5 pounds American Lamb leg, boned and rolled
1. In medium skillet, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil. Cook onion and garlic for 3 minutes. Mix in spinach, basil, sun-dried tomatoes, pine nuts, and 1 teaspoon lemon pepper. Cook additional 2 to 3 minutes until spinach is wilted. Mix in feta cheese; set aside.
2. Remove netting or strings from leg of lamb and open. Flatten and place stuffing in center of meat; roll back up and re-tie with string. Brush with 2 teaspoons olive oil and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon lemon pepper.
3. Place leg on rack in roasting pan and roast in 325° oven for approximately 2 hours or to desired degree of doneness: 145° for medium-rare, 160° for medium, 170° for well. Let roast stand covered 10 minutes before slicing. Internal temperature will rise approximately 10 degrees.
Cook’s Tip: If boneless leg is unavailable in the meat case, ask your supermarket meat cutter to bone a leg.
Photo & Recipe: American Lamb Board