Lemon-Herb Rubbed Butterflied Leg of Lamb Bread Salad
Prep Time:10 mins.
Cook Time:20 mins.
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 3 to 4 pounds butterflied leg of American Lamb
- 2 heads romaine lettuce
- 16 slices crusty bread (each about 1/2” thick)
- 3/4 cup prepared light vinaigrette
- 8 small heirloom or vine ripe tomatoes, cut into 1/2” thick slices
- 24 fresh basil leaves
- Salt and pepper
1. In a small bowl, combine lemon zest, oregano, garlic, and 3 tablespoons olive oil. Remove fat cap from lamb leg; press rub onto both sides of leg.
2. Grill lamb leg over medium direct heat, covered, 3 minutes per side. Grill over medium indirect heat, covered, 7 to 15 minutes for medium-rare (145°) to medium (160°) doneness, turning occasionally. Loosely cover; let rest 5 to 10 minutes.
3. Remove outer leaves of lettuce and trim stems; slice lengthwise into quarters. Brush both sides of each bread slice with remaining olive oil. Grill lettuce quarters and bread slices over direct heat 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Carve lamb leg across the grain. Drizzle about 5 tablespoons vinaigrette over bread slices.
5. For each salad, alternately layer 2 slices bread, 1 romaine quarter, 2 to 3 slices tomato, 3 basil leaves, and 2 to 3 slices lamb.
6. Season each salad with salt and pepper to taste and drizzle with additional 1 tablespoon vinaigrette.
Photo & Recipe: American Lamb Board