Lamb Pizza with Fresh Herbs
Prep Time:45 mins.
Cook Time:25 mins.
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 1 pound lean ground lamb
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup chutney
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 1/2 ounces crumbled feta – or use other cheese to taste
- 1/4 cup each chopped parsley & mint
- 3/4 cup finely diced tomato (optional)
1. To make the pizza shells, combine the sugar, salt, flour, yeast, and oil in a large bowl. Stir in sufficient warm water to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface and knead, adding more flour if necessary, for approx. 5-8 minutes until smooth and springy.
2. Place dough into a clean greased bowl. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place until it has approximately doubled in size.
3. While the dough is rising, prepare the meat. Brown the ground lamb in a hot saucepan or frying pan, pressing it with a fork or potato masher to create fine crumbs. Add the onion and garlic and cook until tender. Stir in the cumin, paprika and salt, then mix in the tomato paste, chutney and water and set aside.
4. Preheat the oven to 400°. Divide the dough into 6-8 pieces and roll on a floured surface to desired size. Place onto greased baking trays and spread each pizza shell with some of the lamb mixture, dividing it evenly. Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 20 minutes or until pizza has risen and is golden.
5. To serve, sprinkle each with some of the chopped herbs and tomatoes.
Photo & Recipe: Beef + Lamb New Zealand and Sophie Gray, Destitute Gourmet