Lamb Chili with Sweet Potatoes, Black Beans & Poblanos
Prep Time:15 mins.
Cook Time:1 1/2 hrs.
1 pound ground American lamb
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 poblano peppers, seeded and chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 1/2 cups lamb stock or low-sodium beef broth
2 cans diced tomatoes, 14.5-ounces each
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/3” cubes
2 cans black beans, 14 ounces each, drained and rinsed
Chopped cilantro leaves
Shredded cheddar cheese
Broken tortilla chips
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Add the lamb and break it up into chunks.
- Stir in the onion, poblano pepper and garlic and sauté until the excess water evaporates, the lamb is browned, and the vegetables are very soft and begin to brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in the chile powder and cook about 30 seconds. Stir in the stock, tomatoes and their juices, 2 teaspoons of salt, and a large pinch of pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, partially cover the pot, and cook for 30 minutes at a gentle simmer.
- Uncover the pot and stir in the sweet potatoes and beans. Continue simmering until the sweet potatoes are tender and the flavors come together, about 30 minutes more. For a thick chili, leave the pot uncovered at this point, or partially cover for a soupier consistency.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning. Serve the chili topped with any of the optional garnishes.
Photo & Recipe: American Lamb Board