Gyro Burgers with Yogurt Sauce
Prep Time:15 mins.
Cook Time:10 mins.
- 1 pound ground Catelli Fresh American Lamb
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 pita bread rounds (6”) halved crosswise
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach or lettuce
- 3/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/2 medium cucumber, peeled and chopped (about 2/3 cup)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint or 1 teaspoon dried mint, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt, optional
1. In large bowl, combine oregano, garlic powder, pepper, onion powder, cumin, and salt. Add lamb; mix well.
2. Form into 4 patties, about 3/4” thick. Grill patties over medium coals or broil about 5 minutes on each side or to desired degree of doneness.
3. In medium bowl, combine yogurt, chopped cucumber, sliced green onion, mint, and sugar. Split open each pita half forming a pocket. Place gyro-burger in each pocket; top with chopped spinach and yogurt mixture.
Photo & Recipe: American Lamb Board