Grilled Butterflied Lamb Leg with Mint-Pistachio Pesto
Prep Time:30 mins.
Cook Time:40-50 mins.
- 3 pounds unseasoned butterflied lamb leg
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 cup shelled, toasted pistachios (toasted in a pan for 8-10 minutes in a 350° oven)
- 1 cup fresh mint (leaves only)
- 1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Pinch red chile flakes
1. Place lamb leg open on a cutting board, trim off visible fat and season generously with salt and pepper. Allow it to rest at room temperature for 30 minutes prior to grilling.
2. Combine pistachios, mint, parsley, oil, vinegar, lemon juice, lemon zest, sea salt, pepper, and chile flakes in a food processor and blend until chunky.
3. Preheat grill to medium-high. Grill the lamb leg to medium-rare (remove from heat when thermometer reads 130°-135°), or to desired doneness.
4. Lightly cover the meat and allow it to rest for at least 10 minutes.
5. Slice meat across the grain into thin slices and serve with pesto.
Photo & Recipe: American Lamb Board