French-Style Lamb Ragout with Vegetables
Prep Time:15 mins.
Cook Time:2 1/2 hrs.
- 6-8 lamb shoulder or neck chops
- Salt and freshly ground pepper for seasoning
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup white wine (optional – or use extra stock)
- 2 cups Low-Salt Chicken Stock
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 stick rosemary
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 14 oz. can chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 pound baby carrots, peeled and topped
- 2 spring onions, cut into thirds
- 1/2 pound round green beans, trimmed
- 1 cup peas
- 3/4 pound baby potatoes, halved
1. Preheat the oven to 300°.
2. Season the lamb with a little salt and pepper. Place the flour in a bag with the chops and toss to coat. Heat the butter over high heat in a large ovenproof saucepan (or a regular pan then transfer to a casserole dish later). Sear the chops a few at a time to brown them on both sides. Set the chops aside.
3. Add the tomato paste to the pan and cook for a few minutes on high heat. Add the wine, if using, and let it bubble up for 30 seconds. Add the stock, thyme, rosemary stick, bay leaves, garlic, and the tomatoes.
4. Transfer to an ovenproof dish, cover and cook in the oven for 2 1/2 hours (or transfer to a slow cooker and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours).
5. Steam the vegetables until tender. Add a little oil, salt and pepper then toss to coat.
Photo & Recipe: Beef + Lamb New Zealand