Chilly Winter’s Eve Lamb Shank Supper
Prep Time:45 mins.
Cook Time:2 1/2 hrs.
- 4 Catelli Brothers American lamb hind shanks or fore shanks
- Salt and coarse pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced on the diagonal, 1/4” thick
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 fennel, quartered lengthwise, and sliced 1/4” thick (do not use solid center)
- 2 bottles (12 ounces each) light to medium beer*
- 1 can (15 ounces) chopped petite tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup fat-free chicken broth
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 bay leaves
* 24 ounces of fat-free chicken broth may be substituted.
1. Generously season shanks with salt and pepper. In large skillet, heat oil over high heat. Brown shanks on all sides until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Remove from pan and place in a 13” x 9” baking pan. Pour out liquid from pan.
2. In same skillet, combine garlic, carrots, onion, and fennel; sauté for 6 to 8 minutes to lightly brown, stirring occasionally. Mix in beer or broth, tomatoes and juice, chicken broth, thyme, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Pour over shanks. Braise in 375° oven for 2 1/2 hours. Baste shanks with sauce and turn them over every 45 minutes.
3. Serve lamb in large, low-sided soup bowls with broth and vegetables.
Photo & Recipe: American Lamb Board