Caramelized American Lamb Roast with Apricot & Cranberry Stuffing
Prep Time:40 mins.
Cook Time:1 hr.
- 1 American Lamb leg, boned and trimmed
- 2/3 cup dried apricots, snipped into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Salt and coarse ground pepper
- Butcher’s string to tie roast
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
1. Lay lamb flat on cutting board. Trim off all visible fat. Use meat mallet to flatten pieces of meat so that all of the lamb is about 2” thick. Wrap up meat and refrigerate.
2. In small bowl, combine apricots and cranberries, set aside.
3. In small skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Stir and sauté 3 to 4 minutes. Add orange juice and cinnamon, bring to a boil. Pour over dried fruit, mix and let stand for 15 minutes.
4. Lay meat flat on board cut-side up and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cut meat in half making two rectangles. Divide filling between the two pieces of meat. Evenly spread fruit mixture over meat. Start at the
smallest end and roll up meat as tightly as possible. Place seam-side down on board. Tightly tie string around roast at 1” intervals. Tie string around roast from end to end. Repeat process making two roasts.
5. Place roasts on a rack in roasting pan. Preheat oven to 500°. Place roast in oven, immediately turn down temperature to 325°. Baste roast with corn syrup every 15 minutes. Roast for about 50 to 60 minutes or to desired degree of doneness. Remove from oven, cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
6. Slice into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
Photo & Recipe: American Lamb Board