Baked Lamb & Rosemary Cannelloni
Prep Time:1 hr.
Cook Time:30 mins.
- 1 1/2 – 1 3/4 pounds ground lamb
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 15 ounce cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup Low-Salt Chicken Stock
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 cup pumpkin, grated
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- 3/4 cup fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped (plus extra for garnish)
- 8 ounces crème fraîche
- 3-4 fresh lasagna sheets
- 1 cup cheese, grated – mozzarella, Cheddar, Parmesan, or a mixture
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Heat a dash of oil in a large saucepan over very high heat. Add the lamb in two batches to brown, breaking up any lumps with a wooden spoon. Drain and set aside in a bowl.
2. Reduce the heat to medium and add another dash of oil to the pan. Add the onion and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes until the onion is soft. Add the lamb back to the pan along with one can of tomatoes, stock, cayenne pepper, sugar, rosemary, pumpkin, and spinach. Simmer for about 10 minutes until reduced to a thick sauce. Stir through the mint and season to taste.
3. Cover the base of the baking dish with the second can of tomatoes. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Remove pot from heat then soak the unfolded pasta sheets in water for a few minutes to soften. Gently remove with a wooden spoon and cool slightly, then cut into rectangles. Spoon a line of the lamb mixture near the short edge of a rectangle and roll it up. Place the roll seam side-down in the baking dish. Repeat until the dish is full. Spread the crème fraîche over the cannelloni tubes to cover them, sprinkle with the cheese, season with salt and pepper, and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
4. If need be, broil for a few minutes just before serving to get it golden and bubbling on top. Just before serving, sprinkle with extra mint leaves.
Photo & Recipe: Beef + Lamb New Zealand