American Rack of Lamb with Pistachio Crust & Lamb Bacon
Prep Time:20 mins.
Cook Time:1 hr.
1/3 cup unsalted pistachios
1 tablespoon chopped thyme
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped rosemary
1 teaspoon chopped parsley
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1/4 cup pistachio oil
1 1/2 pounds rack of American lamb, frenched
6 to 8 ounces thinly sliced lamb bacon or Parma ham
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 tablespoons butter, divided
2 red onions, thinly slivered
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup red wine
1/2 cup lamb jus
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a mini processor, finely chop the pistachios with the thyme, rosemary and parsley. Add oil; process to a paste consistency. Lightly season the paste with salt and pepper.
- Scrape half of the pistachio paste into a small bowl, add pistachio oil and mix well. Reserve the other half.
- Evenly coat lamb with pistachio paste with added oil. Wrap bacon or ham slices around the lamb, between bones, leaving the bones exposed but covering all paste and lamb.
- Lightly sear rack in a sauté pan with 1 tablespoon each oil and butter until brown. Place in oven; reduce temperature to 325°F and roast for about 30 minutes.
- Transfer the lamb to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Reserve the pan drippings.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon each oil and butter. Add onions and brown sugar; cook until onions are soft. Add vinegar, cooking until evaporated; add wine. Cook until wine is evaporated and onions are caramelized.
- In a pan over medium heat, add reserved drippings. Add remaining pistachio paste; cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add lamb jus; simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cut rack into 8 chops and arrange on platter. Top with onions; drizzle with sauce.
Photo & Recipe: American Lamb Board