Veal & Mushroom Meatballs
Prep Time:20 mins.
Cook Time:1 1/2 hrs.
10 ounces ground veal
10 ounces mushrooms, chopped fine
3 ounces bread crumbs
3 ounces milk
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 teaspoon garlic, mashed
2 cups plum tomatoes, canned
1/4 cup tomato purée
3 basil leaves
1 bay leaf
1½ teaspoons chopped Italian parsley
Salt to taste
Ground black pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the veal, chopped mushrooms, bread crumbs, milk, eggs, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, black pepper and chopped parsley.
- Form the meat mixture into 1.5 oz. meatballs. Place the meatballs onto a sheet pan that has been lightly coated with oil.
- Place the sheet pan in the oven for 30 minutes or until the meatballs have browned and reached an internal temperature of 165°F.
- For the sauce, in a medium-sized saucepan, sauté the onions and garlic in oil over medium heat.
- Add the plum tomatoes, tomato purée, herbs, salt and pepper. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf; transfer the mixture to a food processor and coarsely blend.
- Add the cooked meatballs to the tomato sauce and braise them for 45-60 minutes. Serve with your favorite pasta.
Photo & Recipe: Funded by the Beef Checkoff