Veal Chops with Pepper-Pear Relish
Prep Time:30 mins.
Cook Time:15 mins.
- 4 veal loin or rib chops, cut 1” thick (approx. 8 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse grind black pepper
- Cilantro sprigs (optional)
- Lemon twists (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large each red and green bell pepper, cut into 1/2” pieces (approx. 1 cup each)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced, seeded, jalapeño pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 medium pear, peeled, cut into 1/2” pieces (approx. 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1. In 12” nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat until hot. Add bell peppers, onion, jalapeño pepper, and ginger. Cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in pear, 1/4 cup lemon juice, brown sugar, lemon peel, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Simmer 5 minutes or until pear is tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice and chopped cilantro.
2. Meanwhile place veal chops on rack in broiler pan so surface of meat is 4 inches from heat. Broil 14 to 16 minutes for medium doneness, turning once.
3. Arrange chops on warm platter; season with salt and pepper. Spoon relish over chops, then garnish with cilantro sprigs and lemon twists, if desired.
To Grill: Place chops on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill uncovered, 12 to 14 minutes for medium doneness, turning once.
Cook’s Tip: For best results, do not prepare relish in advance.
Photo & Recipe: VealMadeEasy.com