Roast Lamb Leg “French Dip” with Caramelized Onions & Greek Yogurt Sauce
Prep Time:30 mins. (plus simmer time of 1-2 hrs.)
Cook Time:1 1/2 hrs.
Marinate Time:1 hr.-overnight
1 American Lamb leg, about 3 pounds, boneless, rolled and tied
1 American Lamb leg bone
2 quarts beef broth
3 tablespoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon ground back peppercorns
2 teaspoons ground Pasilla chile
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
8 hoagie rolls
16 Swiss cheese slices
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
1/2 cup white wine
Greek Yogurt Sauce (makes about 1 1/2 cups)
1 cup Greek yogurt
1/3 cup cucumber, pared, seeded, chopped
3 tablespoons chopped mint
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
- In a pan, combine the lamb bone with broth; simmer for 1 to 2 hours to infuse the flavor. Strain liquid and reserve.
- In a small bowl, combine oregano, salt, peppercorns, chile, cinnamon and ginger. Place the lamb leg on a cookie sheet with a wire rack; rub evenly with the dry spices. Coat with oil; marinate in refrigerator for at least one hour or overnight, covered.
- Place on center rack in oven; bake at 350°F 40 to 60 minutes, until thermometer inserted into the leg reaches 130°F. Remove lamb from oven; let rest at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes.
- For Caramelized Onions, in a sauté pan, caramelize the onions in butter over medium heat; stir often, deglazing with the wine until thoroughly cooked and golden brown.
- For Greek Yogurt Sauce, in a medium bowl, combine yogurt, cucumber, mint, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper.
- Slice the lamb as thinly as possible; lay slices into the warm lamb jus in the mixing bowl. Slice and open rolls, lining each with two cheese slices. Toast in oven until golden brown. Drain lamb jus off sliced lamb and reserve.
- Assemble the slices of lamb on the sandwiches. Top with Caramelized Onions and Greek Yogurt Sauce. Serve with dipping container of lamb jus.
Photo & Recipe: American Lamb Board