Pub-style Irish Stew with American Lamb
Prep Time:1 hr.
Cook Time:2 hrs.
4 pounds American lamb, boneless shoulder, 3/4-inch dice
3 ounces butter, clarified
2 pints Irish red ale
2 pints lamb stock
2 ounces butter, clarified
2 ounces flour
1 pound turnips, peeled, 1/2-inch dice
1 pound red potatoes, 1/2-inch dice
1 pound baby carrots, pared
1 pound pearl onions, peeled
1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
1/4 cup green onions, finely sliced
Slices of hearty bread
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, heat the butter. Add lamb; cook until browned. Drain off any excessive amounts of rendered fat. Deglaze with ale; simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add lamb stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer gently 1-1/2 hours until meat is fork tender.
- Mix roux of butter and flour; stir slowly into hot stew and simmer 5 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add turnips, potatoes, carrots and onions; simmer 10 more minutes.
- Spoon lamb stew into bowls. Garnish with a liberal sprinkling of chopped parsley and green onion.
- Serve with warm slices of bread.
Photo & Recipe: American Lamb Board