Lamb Meatballs in Fragrant Curry Sauce
Prep Time:20 mins.
Cook Time:30 mins.
1 pound ground American lamb
3/4 cup grated paneer cheese
2/3 cup chopped fresh mint, plus more for garnish
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1 large egg
2 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon minced ginger
3 teaspoon garam masala
2 tablespoons butter
1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon medium chile powder
1 teaspoon each ground turmeric and cumin
28 ounces diced tomatoes, with juices
- Preheat the broiler with a rack positioned about 4” from the heating element.
- In a large bowl, mix together the lamb, paneer, half of the mint, bread crumbs, egg, 1 tablespoon garlic, ginger, 2 teaspoons garam masala, and 1 teaspoon salt. Roll the mixture into 16 meatballs.
- Arrange the meatballs on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Broil the meatballs, turning occasionally, until nicely browned on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Heat the butter in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add the onion, tomato paste, and chili powder and cook, stirring often, until tomato paste has darkened and onion is soft, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon garlic, turmeric, and cumin, and cook, stirring often, until the bottom of the pot begins to brown, about 4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and stir to scrape the browned bits off the bottom of the pot. Add the meatballs and bring to a simmer. Cook at a gentle simmer until sauce thickens, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining mint and garam masala. Serve the meatballs and sauce over rice with more mint and almonds to garnish.
Photo & Recipe: American Lamb Board